Office frequently asked questions
Find answers to commonly asked questions about Office and Office 365. Visit the Office 365 for business FAQ for more questions and answers for business users.
Office 2019 is compatible with Windows 10 or macOS. See system requirements for compatible versions of Windows and macOS, and for other feature requirements.
No. Office applications are tailored to work best on each platform and device. The Office applications available for Mac users and the version numbers may be different from those available for PC users.
People using Office 365, Office 2016, Office 2013, and Office 2010 applications can open documents created using Office 2019 without any additional action.
Yes. Documents that you have created belong fully to you. You can choose to store them online on OneDrive or locally on your PC or Mac. Learn what happens if you cancel your subscription.
Your Microsoft account is the combination of an email address and password that you use to sign in to services like Hotmail, OneDrive, Windows Phone, Xbox LIVE, and Outlook.com. If you use any of these services, you already have a Microsoft account that you can use, or you can create a new account. Learn more about a Microsoft account. As part of signing up for a trial or purchasing Office, you will be prompted to sign in with a Microsoft account. You must be signed in with this account to install and manage your Office software, or to use some subscription benefits, including OneDrive storage and Skype minutes.
Users can activate 1 subscription for Office 365 Home and Office 365 Personal and up to 25 licenses for Office Home & Student 2016, Office Home & Business 2016, and Office Professional 2016.
About Office trials
- Full Office desktop applications (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, OneNote, and Outlook, plus Publisher and Access for Windows PCs).
- 1 TB of additional OneDrive cloud storage so you can save documents, photos and videos online and access them from nearly anywhere.
- 60 Skype minutes that you can use to call mobile phones and landlines. See the list.
- Create or sign in with an existing Microsoft account. What is a Microsoft account?
- Provide payment information to enable future monthly payments. International credit cards and PayPal (in some markets) are accepted.
- The payment method you provide will be automatically charged at the end of your first free month to ensure that you do not experience any interruptions with your service. You can cancel online without penalty before your trial ends, by visiting www.office.com/myaccount and turning off recurring billing in the payment and billing area.
- Once your payment method is confirmed, you'll be transferred to www.office.com/myaccount to install Office.
If you signed up for the trial via the Office website, visit the Microsoft Account and turn off recurring billing. With this approach, the trial will automatically expire when your month is finished and your credit card will not be charged.
- If you signed up via the Office website, and if recurring billing is enabled on the Microsoft Account site, your service will continue uninterrupted and your payment method will be automatically charged at the end of the trial, and then monthly thereafter. You do not need to re-install Office.
- If you signed up by clicking an icon on your new PC, your trial ends automatically after a month; it isn’t necessary to cancel it. When the trial ends, you’ll be prompted to choose which version of Office you want to purchase.
Not immediately. For example, if you had a trial of Office 365 Personal, you can’t sign up for a trial of Office 365 Home. However, one year after your trial or paid subscription ends, you can sign up for a new trial.
Product keys, redemption, and activation
After you associate your Product Key to your Microsoft account, you can sign in to www.office.com/myaccount to install and manage Office. But it's a good idea to keep your Product Key in a secure location as proof of purchase or to help our support agents trace your product.
It's best to use your existing Microsoft account. If you use other Microsoft products or services (e.g. Xbox, OneDrive, Outlook.com, MSN or Bing), you may already have a Microsoft account and won’t need to create a new one. If you forgot your username or password, recover those details by returning to sign in and clicking on Can't access your account?
Your Microsoft account can have only one subscription associated with it. If you use the same Microsoft account to buy or redeem multiple Office 365 subscriptions, you extend the amount of time for your subscription, up to a maximum of 5 years. Note that doing so does not increase the number of devices you can install Office on or increase the amount of online storage that is available with the subscription. Learn more about adding another Office 365 home subscription plan to your account.
Language support for Office
Office 365 plans are available in most countries/regions. In countries/regions where Office 365 plans are not available, you can still buy an Office 2016 suite. When buying Office 365, it’s important that you select the country/region in which you will be billed and in which you’ll use the software. Selecting a different country/region may cause problems with subscription setup and renewal.
- For PCs running Windows: Arabic, Bulgarian, Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Estonian, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Kazakh, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Malay (Malaysia), Norwegian (Bokmål), Polish, Portuguese (Brazil), Portuguese (Portugal), Romanian, Russian, Serbian (Latin), Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, and Vietnamese.
- For Mac: Arabic, Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Danish, Dutch, English (United States), Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian (Bokmal), Polish, Portuguese (Brazil), Portuguese (Portugal), Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish and Turkish.
- For iOS: Arabic, Catalan, Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English (United States), English (United Kingdom), Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian (Bokmål), Polish, Portuguese (Brazil), Portuguese (Portugal), Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, and Vietnamese.
- For Android: Arabic, Bulgarian, Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Norwegian (Bokmål), Polish, Portuguese (Brazil), Portuguese (Portugal), Romanian, Russian, Serbian (Latin), Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese, Catalan, Kannada, Malayalam, Persian, Tamil, and Telugu.
- Office 365: Each time you install Office on an additional PC or Mac at www.office.com/myaccount, you can choose the language in which to install Office.
- Office 2016 suites: You can install language accessory packs after installing Microsoft Office, to add additional display, help, or proofing tools. Learn more about the Language Accessory Pack for Office 2016.
- Office 2013 suites: You can install language packs after installing Microsoft Office, to add additional display, help, or proofing tools. Learn more.
OneDrive is an online storage service that you can use to store documents, notes, photos, music, videos, or other types of files. With OneDrive you can access your files from nearly any device and you can share them with others. Sign up for OneDrive.
- Customers with an active Office 365 Personal or Office 365 University subscription receive an additional 1 TB of OneDrive storage per subscription.
- Customers with an active Office 365 Home subscription receive an additional 1 TB of OneDrive storage per user, for up to 6 users. Each additional user must have their own Microsoft account and be added to the Microsoft Account site.
To access documents stored on OneDrive, sign in to Office with the Microsoft account that you used to set up Office 365. If you have shared your Office 365 Home subscription with other members of your household, they should sign in with their Microsoft account. Learn more about signing in to Office. You can also sign in to OneDrive directly at OneDrive.com.
If you cancel your subscription or if it expires, you can still access and download all your files by signing in to OneDrive directly using the Microsoft account you used to set up Office 365. You do lose the additional storage that comes with your subscription, so you must save your files elsewhere or buy more OneDrive storage if your OneDrive account exceeds the free storage quota.
They lose the additional OneDrive storage, but they can still access and download all files. If their OneDrive account exceeds the free storage quota, they'll need to save files elsewhere or buy more OneDrive storage.
About Skype minutes
- Both landlines and mobile phones: Canada, China, Guam, Hong Kong SAR, Japan, Puerto Rico, Singapore, Thailand, and the United States.
- Landlines only: Andorra, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Chile, Croatia, Colombia (excl. Lex), Costa Rica, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Guadeloupe, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia (Jakarta), Ireland, Israel, Italy, Korea, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Malta, Mexico, Morocco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Turkey, United Kingdom, and Venezuela.
Skype offers a variety of pay-as-you-go and subscription options to supplement Skype minutes. Visit www.skype.com for more details.
Office 365 University
Office 365 University is a four-year subscription for full- and part-time enrolled university and college students, faculty, and staff in accredited institutions. Alumni of these institutions are ineligible. After purchasing Office 365 University at a participating retailer, you need to go online to verify your eligibility in order to activate Office. You are also subject to the Microsoft Software License Terms for Office Consumer Subscriptions--Supplement to Microsoft Online Services Agreement and will be required to accept the agreement before activating the product. Internet access is required as the academic verification and redemption process occurs online. Note that you may be eligible for free Office through your university, school or college. Check your eligibility at www.office.com/getoffice365 before purchasing Office 365 University.
Office 365 University is available in the following countries/regions: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong SAR, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Korea, Kuwait, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Malta, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Oman, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, and Vietnam. Office 365 University will be available in each of the countries/regions listed as the new Office is released in that country/region.
Download and install Office
You’ll need to determine which Office product keys correspond to each PC. Learn more.
Office 365 Personal subscribers can install Office on multiple PCs/Macs, tablets, and phones, including Windows, iOS, and Android1, for one user. Office 365 Home subscribers can install Office on Multiple PCs/Macs, tablets, and phones, including Windows, iOS, and Android1 for up to six users within their household. You can count hybrid Windows devices, such as the Microsoft Surface Pro, as either a PC or a tablet.
Yes. You can purchase Office 365 subscriptions for both Mac and Windows. Office Home & Business 2016 and Office Home & Student 2016 are also available for Mac as a one-time purchase. Office applications available for a Mac are Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and OneNote. The Publisher and Access applications are not available for Mac. Current Office application versions for Office 365 and Office 2016 are available for both Windows and Mac.
You can’t have side-by-side installations of Office 2016 and Office 2013 on the same PC. However, you can have side-by-side installations of Office 2016 and other older versions of Office, such as Office 2010 or Office 2007. Learn more about installing different versions of Office on the same PC.
Icons for Office applications are created when you install Office. You can start the applications by clicking the icons, which are installed in the following locations:
o Windows 7: Start menu
o Windows 8: Start screen and Apps view (the view under the Start screen that includes all apps installed on a PC)*
o Windows 8.1: Apps view*
*If you cannot find your icons in Windows 8 or Windows 8.1, go to the Start screen and type the name of the application you want to launch (for example, Word).
- Mac OS X
o 10.6 (Snow Leopard): Docko 10.7 (Lion): Dock and Launchpado 10.8 (Mountain Lion): Dock and Launchpado 10.9 (Mavericks): Dock and Launchpado 10.10 (Yosemite): You can start the applications by clicking the application icons which can be found in the Launchpad and Applications folder in Finder
If you have installed Office on the maximum number of PCs, Macs, or tablets and want to use Office on a different device, you can deactivate a device by visiting www.office.com/myaccount, after which you can install Office on a new device. The copy of Office on the device you deactivated will revert to read-only mode, which means documents can be viewed but not edited. You will not lose any documents that are saved locally on the original device.
To uninstall Office, first visit www.office.com/myaccount and follow the onscreen instructions to deactivate Office. Deactivating Office leaves the Office applications on your PC in read-only mode, which means that you can view documents but can't edit or save them, and you can’t create new documents. To remove Office entirely, go to your PC's Control Panel and uninstall Office. For Mac, iPad, and Android tablets, follow the instructions on that device to uninstall an application.
- Office 365 customers can download or reinstall from www.office.com/myaccount.
- You may order a DVD backup copy for the latest release Office products for a fee. Visit www.office.com/backup for details.
Get the core Office experience for free on your favorite tablets and phones. To find and download apps, visit the following pages: Office for iPad, Office for iPhone, Office for Android tablet, and Office for Android phone. For Word, Excel, and PowerPoint apps, get premium features with an eligible Office 365 subscription. For information about the premium features for mobile devices that are available with Office 365, visit www.office.com/information.
Office 365 customers with an active subscription always get the newest versions of the Office applications when they are available. When we release a new version of Office, you will be notified that you have the option to update your software to the latest version.
The latest version, Office 2016 for Mac, is now available to Office 365 subscribers as part of your subscription. To install Office 2016 for Mac, go to http://office.com/myaccount and follow the instructions there.
Managing your Office 365 subscription
To manage your billing information, install or remove Office from additional PCs or Macs, and manage your installations of Office on other devices at any time, visit www.office.com/myaccount.
If you purchased a recurring billing subscription, your subscription starts when you complete your purchase. Recurring billing subscriptions may be purchased from Office365.com, MicrosoftStore.com, the iTunes® Store, and some other retailers. If you purchased a pre-paid subscription, your subscription starts when you activate your subscription and land on your My Account page. Pre-paid subscriptions may be purchased from a retailer or reseller, or a Microsoft support agent.
Your Microsoft account can only have one active subscription. If you activate your Office 365 Personal or Office 365 University subscription before your Office 365 Home subscription expires, the remaining time on your Office 365 Home subscription will be converted to the Office 365 Personal or Office 365 University subscription (whichever you have chosen). You will immediately lose the Office 365 Home benefits of installing Office on multiple PCs/Macs, tablets, and phones, including Windows, iOS, and Android for Office 365 Personal. You may choose to wait until your Office 365 Home subscription expires before activating your Office 365 Personal or Office 365 University subscription so you do not lose installs.
Your Microsoft account can have only one active subscription. If you activate your Office 365 Personal subscription before your Office 365 University subscription expires, the remaining time on your Office 365 University subscription will be converted to Office 365 Personal. However, you will be allowed to install Office on only as many devices as your new subscription plan allows for—1 PC or Mac, plus 1 tablet and 1 phone for Office 365 Personal. You may choose to wait until your Office 365 University subscription expires before activating your Office 365 Personal so you do not lose installs.
Your Microsoft account can have only one active subscription. You can either convert your Office 365 Home subscription to Office 365 Personal or Office 365 University, or you can wait until your current subscription expires before activating your Office 365 Personal or Office 365 University subscription.
Renewals, cancellations, and billing
You will be notified before you’re charged when it’s time to renew an annual subscription. If you are signed up for a monthly subscription, your payment will be automatically debited each month and you won’t be notified in advance. You can change your payment method or cancel your subscription at any time by visiting the Microsoft Account site and signing in with the Microsoft account that you used to buy Office.
You have a few options for renewing. Regardless of the option you choose, be sure to renew using the same Microsoft account that you used when setting up your subscription.
- If you have a recurring billing subscription, it will continue until cancelled. Your billing settings are shown on the Microsoft Account site after you sign in with the Microsoft account that you used to buy Office.
- If recurring billing is not enabled, visit www.office.com/renew to purchase an Office 365 recurring billing subscription. The additional time will be automatically added to the remaining time on your existing subscription.
- To renew through the retailer that you purchased Office 365 from, return to that retailer and purchase another pre-paid one-year subscription. Follow the setup instructions included in the packaging – they are the same for setting up a new subscription. The additional year will be automatically added to the remaining time on your existing subscription.
Yes. When you renew early to the same Office 365 plan that you already have, the additional time is added to your existing subscription. For example, if you have two months left on your current subscription to Office 365 Home and you renew for one year (12 months), your subscription will run for 14 months.
- If you purchased a recurring billing subscription from Microsoft via MicrosoftStore.com or Office365.com, you have two options for cancelling:
o To cancel immediately, contact Microsoft support and request an immediate cancellation.
- If you purchased a recurring billing subscription from Apple via the iTunes Store, you will need to cancel your subscription with Apple. Learn more.
- If you purchased a recurring billing subscription from another retailer, you may have to cancel your subscription with that retailer. You can confirm this by visiting the Microsoft Account site.
Support and resources
Visit Microsoft Support for help on technical issues, including:
- Order status
- Product key
- Product activation
- Product use